Tuesday, September 18, 2007

My Grandmother's Story

Death. This is a word that most of us cringe at when we here it escape the mouth of someone. We don't want to ear it much less think about it. I can remember as a child thinking that my grandparents would live forever. In my mind they were immortal. They would always be there no matter what. However, I lost my father (grandfather) April 2000 of cancer. And I tell you that it wasn't a funeral but a home going celebration. If there ever was a man that walked the walked it was my beloved grandfather. I look back on the past with fond memories, inspiration, and life lessons.

Last week I spent some time with my grandmother. My grandparent’s home was a home for all the homeless grandchildren. Me and my first daughter lived there for a while. It was home, and it still is. As we sat talking my grandmother shared a story with me. A story of death. Her death. The entire conversation began with recalling memories about her beloved husband, my dad, and how she still talks to him today, even though he is not on this earth. She is in her perfect mind and knows full well that she will see him someday.

On this day my grandmother did not just share a brush with death, but a glimpse of heaven. Yes, I said it...she saw heaven. Here is her story that I would like to share with you.

I had just given birth to Lawrence Jr. (her first) It was a hard labor, and an even harder delivery but he was a healthy child. But something happened. I started to bleed and the doctor's couldn't get it under control. Life began to drain from my body and I felt lighter and lighter, and before I knew it I was floating in the air. Then the most beautiful white light I had ever seen seem to envelop me. Not a blinding white light but soft, bright, and beautiful. There was an indescribable peace. My feet touched the most beautiful mountain that I had ever laid my eyes on. Lush green grass surrounded me, flowers everywhere. It was beauty all around me. I started up the mountain to the top. As I walked I stumbled and I felt a hand gently grab me by the elbow to keep me from falling. I never saw the hand but I knew wit was Jesus. Just when I reached the top of the mountain I started floating...floating....back into my body. The doctor's had brought me back. Yes, I know God is real, I know heaven is real and I'll be going home one day to be with Jesus!

I'm welling up right now as I type this. My grandmother had just shared one of her most intimate moments with me. There are skeptics who say she was hallucinating, just imagined it, but those of us in Christ know different. We may mourn, but not as the world does. Though I know her day will come and I will mourn, I will be singing and praising Jesus as he welcomes her into his arms.

To Live is Christ, To die is gain!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this experience. My mother-in-law were just talking about heaven the other day and sort of wondering out loud what it will be like...

Rebekah said...

That was lovely. Moments with our grandparents are ones we will always cherish and should never take for granted. I love hearing stories from my grandparents. We are so blessed to have had grandparents who love Jesus!

Evette said...

You are so right Rebekah. Moments with our grandparents are priceless. So much knowledge, and wisdom. I'm thankful that God blessed me with such godly grandparents.

Margaret said...

Evette,
In light of my mother recently passing, your post was one of comfort and joy.
I know she is in heaven rejoicing with the Father.
Thank you!!

Margaret said...

Evette,
Would you email me at frufrugirl@zoominternet.net?

I have something I would like to share with you.

Thanks,
Margaret

kristina said...

I love that story! It reminds me of a time in my own life! Wow! Tahnk you for sharing it.

i like your blog.

kristina said...

Hey Evette!

Sorry i accidently posted as Chris! It's Kristina!