Monday, September 24, 2007

Extending Grace


After a weekend of being on my last rope, and the kids being on my last nerve, God in all his glory, gave me one word to mediate on. That word is GRACE! Last night I pulled out my Bible and concordance and dived right in making note of all the scriptures that grace references to. Now, what really got me was a still small voice that stated "Evette you know what grace means, and what it is, but you are not extending grace."

Ouch!!!! All I could do was sink back in the bed and agree. Another eye opening experience for me. Another lesson learned by the gentleness of the Holy Spirit. It is easy to extend grace to others. Yet, my downfall comes when extending grace to my own family. Just when I think that I've gotten over the hump something happens and the hump I thought that I'd gotten over chases me down like a rabid dog chasing the mail man. Now I was asking myself why? Why did I have no problem at all with "others" and had a problem with my own children, and my husband?

Family can easily get on your nerves and push your buttons like no other. Strangers you don't know, have no tie with. Compassion is something that we all have but don't act upon at times. Depending on who it is plays a huge roll. My children know how to push the buttons and send me head first into a storm of fury. However, whatever they do doesn't warrant me from extending grace in any given situation. There were so many things that I could have done differently this past weekend. My emotions don't have to rule over me no matter how frustrated, upset, and stressed that I am. Grace isn't limited to "others". Grace begins in my own home with my family.

5 comments:

Tina said...

Evette,
This really ministered to me. Had one of those weekends myself, and it would have been a lot less stressful for all of us if I had chose grace instead. It seems so easy to say, but in the heat of the moment seems almost impossible. This really brought tears to my eyes, because I could have chose grace, and I didn't. I will remember this the next time though. Thanks for reminding me to choose grace instead.
God Bless

Evette said...

In the heat of the moment does seem impossible. Once I get rolling it is hard to come to a stop. No one is perfect and we all grow in grace. Here's to growing!

Rebekah said...

I'm right there with you guys! Thanks for the encouragement. I find that I need constant encouragement in the areas that I'm weak in. Thanks for your honesty.

Margaret said...

I have found the more grace I extend to anyone; family, friends, coworkers...the easier it is for me to accept grace, which has always been hard for me. Whether it be from God or from someone I encounter, I never felt like I could readily accept.
I wish I could say I always had the right attitude, what a joke! But ever striving, the more we accept...the more we can give!
Love you girls!
These blogs are great for me!!!
You guys are great!!!

Unknown said...

I like the idea of grace represented in the photo, as God lavishes his peace and goodness upon us...
It makes me think of a song -

As the deer panteth for the water so my soul thirsteth after you
You alone are my hearts desire and I long to worship you