Monday, October 12, 2009

I Know A Change Is Gonna Come

"I know a change is gonna come, if only I can just touch the hem of his garment", she said to herself as she followed the crowd. Shame and desperation had brought her here. Physician after physician had claimed to provide the healing she so desperately sought, but they all failed. So many had called her cursed. According to the other women in the village, God was punishing her for her sins. After all, its normal to bleed but not have a flow so long and so heavy that she remained continually unclean. They had all taken her money, and the shame was still there. You are cursed with a curse…the only diagnosis any of them offered.

She'd heard the rumors of a man but not just any man. He called himself the son God, who had performed miracle after miracle. And a miracle she needed.

"I believe, I believe" she whispered, anticipating her move. Immediately she found herself on her knees crawling through the crowd of people who pushed and shoved and pressed their way toward Jesus.

Stretching out her arm her fingers grabbed the hem of his garment with boldness and determination, and faith that could move a mountain. She wanted to shout for joy, she wanted to run through the streets praising God.

"Who Touched Me"

Anywhere but here, she thought. The reality of what just happened made her cower in fear.

Again, Jesus said "Someone touched me, for I perceive that power has gone out from me." The crowd was mystified. People as far as the eyes can see and he asks who touched him, thinking to herself.

Knowing that she couldn't just retreat, there at the feet of Jesus she confessed in the midst of the crowd. At his feet she laid her shame, defeat, and pride.


"Daughter your peace has made you well; go in peace."


No condemnation, no scolding, no judgment, no punishment, just love.


Here I am Lord, grasping the hem of your garment. My shame kept me from coming boldly to your throne. Today I bring you everything that has bound me with chains. Today the prison doors are open and I no longer dwell in darkness, you have taken what was broken and made it new. I am your Daughter!

1 comment:

Evette said...
This comment has been removed by the author.