Wednesday, September 16, 2009

the hitchhiker

Growing up mama told me the (3) big no no's.
1.) Never talk to strangers
2.) Never open the door to someone you don't know.
3.) Never pick up hitchhikers.

We'll I'm sorry to say mom, I've done all the above. I know what your thinking. The first top two aren't so bad. However, the third one its clear that you've lost your mind. How many times have you driven past that person holding the "will work for food sign" and had compassion, and empathy, but not enough to make you wanna stop the car? One thing that I've learned. Some times God will take you out of your comfort zone prompting you to make that ordained God stop.
And that's exactly what happened to me one cold night.

There she stood, at the intersection of interstate 81. She was kind of hard to miss. My headlights said hello to her before my eyes registered that she was an actual person standing in the cold at old dark thirty. Immediately after seeing her I knew that she was different and I felt that I needed to stop and so I did, practically in the middle of the road and told her to hop in.

Her name was Rachel. She seemed smart, educated, and not crazy in the weird kind of way.

“Hi” she said as she climb into the van. “Thanks so much for stopping and picking me up".

“oh no problem” I said cranking up the heat.

"You don’t mind me asking why someone like yourself would be out here hitchhiking?"
“oh no, she said smiling at me.

“I’m hitchhiking to tell people about Jesus.”

“Really …..(wondering if I’d made a mistake), is there somewhere that I can drive you to, say like a warm hotel room.

“Oh no, I just checked out of my room."

“Is there a reason why you left the comforts of a comfortable room on a night as cold as this. “

“Jesus told me to get my things and check out and I did. He’s sending me to Knoxville.”

Lord what have you gotten me into, I said to myself as I kept a view of Rachel out of the corner of my eye.

“I’m sorry, but I can’t take you far.”

“Oh that’s okay she said, I’ll go as far as you’ll drive me.”

“Are you not worried about crazy folks", I asked.

Rachel smiled at me and gave me a firm “NO! God will provide everything I need and he’ll send me to those I am to see.”

As I drove down Interstate 81 she told me about how she came to be hitchhiking. How Jesus saved her from a sinful life and how she is totally in love with him. And she would have to, to be out in the dark, freezing cold hitchhiking.

“I’m sorry, but this is as far as I can go Rachel” I said as I pulled of the highway.

There I sat with Rachel…no last name….crying, and telling her things I wouldn’t tell anyone else. There in my van, on the side of the highway she prayed for me and ministered to me. It felt strange leaving her on the side of the road, and I told her so. But she just replied “God will take care of me.” As I drove off, I cried and thanked God for our God ordained meeting. It was clear, I was "one" of those she had an appointment with.

To this day I’m not sure what happened to Rachel. I’m not sure if she were an angel or simply a sister in Christ. All I know is, God placed both of us in each others path. She needed a ride and I needed a word.

8 comments:

Rich Wagner said...

entertaining angels...

Soren said...

Sorry girl, but I gotta quote the Bible after reading this! "Keep on loving one another as brothers and sisters. Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it."

Loved this post.

Soren said...

Hey...Soren is FRANK! ;)

Beth Herring said...

Awesome. God chooses to work in amazing ways - we just have to be discerning and ever listening and then obedient.

This touched my heart in a mighty way today!

Evette said...

Glad you stopped by Beth. I've added your blog to my following. I was so inspired by your blog.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Evette,

Sweet sister, pleasure to meet you.

Thank you for sharing this story. You shine with Jesus' love.

In His grip,
Jennifer

Laurie Cassell Mergenschroer said...

What a great story. I loved it. I'm adding your blog to mine. I love your entries! :o)

Anonymous said...

posts are very nice.